The Village Beautiful Club or VBC was formed to clean up the banks of the canal and in 1914 they purchased the statue for $100 from the Julius Boesel estate in New Bremen and set it on the canal bank. By 1966 it had been so damaged by vandals and weather that the student council took an interest in it. The restoration was done by Esther Henke of Newport and the statue was set on a concrete pedestal on the school lawn. At the present time it stands in the high school.
From a 1966 newspaper article.