Saturday, August 10, 2013

It happened in August

In August of 1940, 17 members of the Fort Loramie FFA went on an 11 day, 1400 mile trip. A diary was kept by Leo Meyer and published in the Minster Post. Other participants were, Robert Olding, Leo Liening, Anthony Hoying, Homer Raterman, Frank Boerger, Irvin Loy, Clarence Harrod, Bernard Aselage, Herbert Aselage, George Boerger, Albert Boerger, George Bornhorst, Sylvester Hoying, Russell Lallemand, Robert Larger, Wilber Behr, instructor Joseph Schaad, and Albert Holtvogt who drove the school bus. They camped out along the way.

They drove through Pennsylvania and visited the Gettysburg battlefield. In Washington D.C. they saw the Capitol Building, the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, the FBI building, and the House and Senate. They shook hands with the Secretary of Agriculture and watched money printed at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. They visited the Gallery of Fine Arts, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the Supreme Court.

They took a steamboat up the Potomic and toured Mt. Vernon. They saw a government fish hatchery, stopped at Appomattox Courthouse and White Sulfur Springs where they drank some sulfur water that Mr. Meyer claimed tasted just like lime-sulfur tree spray. It sounds like a lot of fun was had by all.