100 years ago today Willman's Department Store on the corner of Park and Main burned down in a catastrophic fire. The fire did $50,000 in damage. At the time of the newspaper article the cause was not known but it looked like it started in the warehouse area.
Fire trucks came from Minster, New Bremen and Wynant (Newport) to help put out the fire but it was too late to save the building. The fire must have been visible for miles around. People came from Maria Stein and Egypt.
In order to continue business the Willman brothers leased space in the Tecklenburg building for groceries and the Knights of St. John Hall for dry goods.
A brand new bigger store opened Nov. 1, 1913 and the building still exists today.